This recipe will make a great big batch of 24 yummy, dense, moist and satisfying muffins. They will also happen to be gluten-free! Put at least half in the freezer, and you will have a supply of great snacks.
- 3 cups Pamela’s Artisan Blend flour mix*
- 2 t cinnamon
- 2 t ginger
- 1/2 t nutmeg
- 1/2 t corriander
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 1/2 t baking soda
- 1 t cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 can squash or pumpkin
- 1-2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 1 cup cultured buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
*can substitute 1/2 cup or so each buckwheat flour and almond meal for 1 cup of Artisan flour mix.
- Preheat oven to 365F
- Prepare muffin tins
- Mash/beat together (or blend) sugar and wet ingredients, adding butter last*
- Sift/whisk together dry ingredients in a seperate bowl
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, then stir in chocolate chips
- Spoon batter into prepared tins
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until tester comes out clean
- Cool on a rack and eat, or freeze in ziplocks
*Alternatively, combine all wet ingredients except for the melted butter in a blender on low, until smooth. Sift together dry ingredients with a whisk, then whisk in sugar. Pour wet ingredients into dry, and stir to combine. Then fold in the melted butter, and chocolate chips, if using.
- These muffins are hard to gauge for doneness from the outside. The first time you bake them, pull out one muffin at 30 minutes, and cut it open to check the inside. Remember that they will firm up a bit more as they cool. I bake them for about 32 minutes.
- Allow frozen muffins to thaw at room temp before serving. Pop one in a lunchbox in the morning, and it will be ready for a snack!